Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Calzones

Welcome back! Have you tried out those bars yet I showed you yesterday? You will never question my credibility for choosing recipes after you do! Today on the menu I am showing you a tasty calzone. I made this for the Super Bowl a couple years back and pulled it out of the arsenal last week to share with Matt. It was a great party food as well as an amazing weeknight meal.

Here's what you need:
pizza dough (if you want to make this homemade-go for it! I am all about the quick and easy so I bought mine)
1 jar of pizza sauce
pizza toppings of your choice (The first one I made had: pepperoni, Canadian bacon, and sausage, this time I did pepperoni and bell peppers)
cheese
seasoning: I added Italian seasoning, Oregano, and a little Parmesan cheese. I recommend those or something similar


Here's what you do:

Get out the largest pan or cookie sheet you have! Roll out your pizza dough. Next, put your pizza sauce across the middle 1/3 of your pizza dough. I used the whole jar. I definitely didn't need to use the whole thing, but it worked out fine!


Then put on your toppings-I did the seasoning first, then the meat and veggies followed by the cheese. 
Next cut the dough into strips approximately 3/4" apart until you are just about to the toppings. I used a pair of kitchen scissors which worked best for me. A knife would work, too. 


Then I braided the top. Fold each one over as far as you can. It should stretch a little. You will see mine is definitely not perfect, and this is not the first time I made it. It still tastes great. I cut it up right away so no one saw the top except for you right now!


Then I topped it with some more seasonings including the Parmesan cheese. Bake in oven at 375° for 25-30 min. You can also follow the directions it says on your pizza crust, but you may need to cook it a little longer. Tip: If it says to cook the crust for a few minutes before putting the toppings on to make sure it gets done, don't! I did that the first time. It is really difficult to fold the crust over the toppings.

We paired it with some broccoli florets and called it a Tasty Tuesday!



Calzone


Ingredients:
pizza crust
1 jar pizza sauce
pizza toppings (pepperoni and bell peppers for us)
cheese
seasoning: Italian, Oregano and Parmesan cheese

Spread pizza crust onto large cookie sheet. Dump pizza sauce onto middle 1/3 of pizza crust. Add a little seasoning if you wish. Layer on your pizza toppings followed by the cheese. Cut the two sides of crust into 3/4" strips until just before you reach the toppings. Braid the pieces over the top of your calzone. Make sure you get each piece over as far as you can-it should stretch a little. Bake in oven at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Cut with your pizza wheel or knife and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment