Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Hundred Year Flood

Last Monday we experienced what people are calling "the hundred year flood." Those people are 100% accurate! Here is a super mathematical article about a 100 year flood. Granted, it is Wikipedia so take it or leave it.
The storm woke me up around 2:30 AM and did not stop until 10:30 AM.
I attended my first meeting for work-great day to start, right? I was the only therapist that made it to the meeting. Everyone else was dealing with flooding basements, pools at the cusp of overflowing, and a doggie door about ready to bring the rain into the house. It was pretty crazy!


I thought about calling in, but my husband thought that was ridiculous. These were his exact words to me, "You don't think you can make it because of RAIN?!!?" Uh yeah.....there I was on the treadmill with the roof leaking at the gym watching five TVs showing floods, roofs collapsing, a police SUV getting stuck, and roads turned into lakes.



The mayor and governor declared us in a state of emergency. Since he was driving into downtown Phoenix he thought I could drive east (at this point in the morning it was much worse to the west of us than it was to the east.) The freeway I was going to take did not look good so I took back roads the whole way, and made it without too much trouble. You can read more about the freeway HERE
The hardest part was getting out of and back into the apartment. It was pretty flooded so I kept my car parked a ways away for the day.
It turned out to be the wettest day on record. THIS article shows I-10 (a little further west than us) that turned into a lake.



Thank you to my friends and family that texted or called to check on us! I am so thankful so many were able to keep safe during this state of emergency. I thought I better post this now because it sounds like we may be having our second hundred year flood within two weeks in the next couple of days.Wish us luck!!!
(Pictures taken from Google)

No comments:

Post a Comment