Monday, October 28, 2013

One last fall break

One good thing about being in school is the vacation time we get. This past week included our fall break. It was my last one ever. We headed to Phoenix to enjoy the nice weather, check out some potential career leads for Matt and find a place to live! We will be moving down there once I finish this semester. I am so ready for this gorgeous weather!!

The next task will be moving. Somehow we will move all of our stuff down there in December. Since we are in KC, we didn't think we would be using our summer clothes at any point during the next two months so we brought them down with us. Thanks Southwest Airlines for helping us move!! 


Four suitcases in the airport is not an easy task. I don't think our shuttle driver was too keen on all our luggage either. Then he found out we were only staying for four days. We definitely had him confused! Either way we arrived safe and were ready to head out on our missions.


I spent the next morning making a game plan for us to see all of the apartments we wanted to see. I also FINALLY got to try the Pumpkin Pie donut from Dunkin Donuts. If you haven't tried it yet, I recommend you stop reading, get in your car and drive thru your nearest DD. SO YUMMY!!!! Not healthy, but good for the soul!


We spend the next two and a half days apartment hunting. Our car broke down one day which caused a minor setback. Thank you AAA, you have more than paid for yourself every year! We narrowed our picks to about five. We are still deciding which neighborhood we think we will like best and have not made a final decision yet.
We did have a little time for fun; not as much as we would have liked, but we will have plenty of time for fun once we move! And I won't be studying every single night! I can't believe that day will ever come, but apparently it happens...We headed over to check out Tempe Town Lake. The picture is below. It looks like a fun path we will be spending some time at. 


We also finally got to try Pizzeria Bianco. This has been a long time coming; let me tell you about it. A couple of years ago Matt and I were in Phoenix and decided we needed to do some cool Phoenix things like hiking mountains and unique shopping. We were trying to decide where we should eat, Kansas City you eat ribs, Memphis=BBQ, Chicago you eat pizza, New Orleans you eat Cajun, in Cinnci go for chili, in Philly you get cheesesteak, in Maine you eat lobster-you get the idea... So we thought, what do you eat in Phoenix? We chose Mexican-we both really like Mexican and thought it was a good excuse. We were strolling through checking out the downtown and took a little break on a bench across from these adorable little house bars. We thought it looked like a really cool place. Next to the house there was this tiny pizza place. As you know Matt LOVES pizza. We considered just going in and eating there but decided against it because you can get good pizza anywhere. We went to our Mexican restaurant and had a good time. The next day we were heading back to the airport when our shuttle driver mentioned a pizza place in downtown that has a reputation for being the best pizza in America. Now at this point we weren't super knowledgeable on many things Phoenix but when he said Pizzeria Bianco we knew exactly what he was talking about. It was the cute pizza place we sat right next to the night before! We couldn't believe it!! We had passed up the best pizza in all of America and didn't even know it!! My next couple of trips to Phoenix I was also not successful at eating there. I tried once with my family but the wait was ridiculously long. So finally after two years of waiting we finally got to try this pizza that everyone was raving about. It was very good. It also seemed very healthy so I didn't feel guilty eating a bunch! We split one and ordered it half and half to try a couple different items. They don't have a lot on their menu which is good for me. I can't deal with too many options. If you get a chance to go there, it is pretty cool. And if you can sit outside it's even better!


I just had to add this pic in. Who doesn't love lights on palm trees all year round?!


The last night we were there we decided we needed to go check some things out. After all we will be living there soon so we need to get a feel for the night life. So what did we choose? The Salt River Fields Balloon Spooktacular. Apparently it was aimed for children and their families, but we had a great time! I can't ever remember seeing a hot air balloon in real life so it was fun see about 20 of them so close together. It made us really excited to check out the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque next year. So here are all my pictures below. Enjoy! We also got to watch one group stand their balloon up. You can watch the video below!






Here is the video!








I'm not a big fan of Halloween since I hate scary things. This was one Halloween event I was glad I attended. 

I also must admit In-N-Out Burger is one of my weaknesses. I have not been there in a very long time since we do not have them in the Midwest. When I was in Vegas in January we were hoping to get a chance to go, but it didn't work out. For a while on this trip I was afraid it would again not work out, but I didn't give up! Our last day we were able to stop. If you have not experienced this place, you need to!! It's so fresh! You watch them chop your potatoes to cook your fries as you order. While we were waiting for our food we also watched a woman slicing tomatoes to top the burgers. It doesn't get much fresher than that. Also they have a pink lemonade that is pretty tasty! In-N-Out and QuikTrip are my go-tos. I'm not sure I could live without them!


Our last day we headed up to Surprise to check out an Arizona Fall League game. Matt loves the Rockies who have some team members that play for the Salt River Rafters in the Fall. They played at Surprise Stadium which is home to the Kansas City Royals Spring Training. 



\

We had a good time. It was a great afternoon for some baseball! I think this is one of the main reasons Matt is excited about moving-baseball almost year round.


I was so sad to leave, but we are treating these next two months like a mini-vacation. Not sure why anyone would take a vacation in Kansas City during the months of November and December, but we are! Phoenix is the only place I always get sad to leave. Soon I won't have to worry about that feeling anymore.
Thanks for reading!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment